Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Vision


I’m the kind of person that likes to think of myself as put together.  In my couple months after graduation there have been times where I’ve been…not quite put together.  From a part-time fun summer job falling through, to finding mushrooms growing out of my carpet, to realizing I have a month before my lease is up and won’t have a place to live, to – oh yeah, about that job search…. things have been a little crazy.  

I want to create the best opportunity and strongest first step for myself – but it’s taken me a lot longer than originally anticipated.  I had my first meeting with Kathleen, Founder of Career Investments, today and I felt the empowerment and step in the right direction.  One of my biggest ah hah!s from it, is that even having graduated with a degree in advertising, I had forgotten the importance of how we brand ourselves. 

One of the first things Kathleen asked me to do, was list four things that I’m known for.  The four things I put didn’t paint the impressive, desirable personal brand I was wanting.  I’ve done things that would make a future employer think, “wow!” – but that’s not what I thought of.  I wasn’t in the mindset of looking at what I’ve accomplished that really makes me stand out.  I had completely forgotten the unique things that I’m known for – like being part of presenting an award-winning campaign at a national competition, and my leadership roles in my sorority – and instead, I put qualities like “caring”, and “great communicator”.

I need to start thinking about myself in a way that really showcases my abilities and achievements in a unique way.  What does Kate Chamness have that no one else does? (Other than my totally baller personality).  Without changing my thinking, and creating a vision of how I want to be perceived, it would be impossible for me to stand out and present myself in the way I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment