Friday, September 9, 2011

Time to Strategize

Getting back to being a college graduate in the real world, my first post where I listed off just a few questions that have run through my mind these last couple months, show just how crazy it is trying to put my life together.  My to-do list for getting a job is so long – it’s hard to know where to start!  It’s terrifying!  Each week I make a to-do list to complete in 5 days.  Some weeks I dominate the list, daring it to give me another challenge.  Other weeks I would look at it think, “well, I accomplished 2 of my 20 things… that’s good, right?”

Hence, the importance of strategizing.  A tool Kathleen suggested for managing the list is to break it down.  Every night before going to bed, I should write down the 5 things I want to accomplish the next day.  Growing my network is a huge to-do.  So, break it down.  One day I’ll look for an IES Abroad alumni group in Chicago.  I studied abroad through that group, and want to move to Chicago for advertising – chances are someone who did their program is in advertising or knows someone.  With this, not only am I strategizing how to tackle my ever-present to-do list, but also how to grow my network.  I’m beginning to realize that as I continue through Career Investments’ program, I’m starting to think about things that are important to the interview/job process, in a strategic way.  Slowly but surely, I’m developing My Plan - and the Real World is becoming a little less scary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment